Subject: ebXML, EWG and X12 (was Re: WSFL, IBM, and WSDL)

Folks,

Please forgive me if this is an already well-covered topic on the mailing
list.  I am new to the list and to ebXML.  However...

It sounds like we need a two phased approach to the definition of standard
business documents:

    1) Generic business documents (e.g. generic P.O. ala X12 850)
    2) Vertical specific agreements on using generic business documents
(e.g. Rosettanet PIP 3A)

On May 16, 2001 Mark Crawford gave a presentation to XML.Gov on "Electronic
Business XML" in which is asserted that "X12 and EWG have joined together to
extend ebXML core components work" with "All work <to> be done using ebXML
metamodel, evolving modeling methodology, and core components process". The
"focus is one functionally neutral and domain space core components, the
aggregates, and functional sets".  On another slide the presentation asserts
that "CEFACT Steering Group considering proposal to incorporate XML work as
part of EWG" and "Work would be based on xCBL" with "Work <leveraging> ebXML
core components effort".  "Work would result in international standards for
design rules, naming conventions, vocabulary, transactions."

These two proposals sound exciting and could provide the foundation that
many recent ebxml-dev participants have been requesting.  Can anyone provide
status or substance about these two proposals?  Given the naturally
deliberate pace of standards definition, are there any ground rules expected
(e.g. namespace mapping between xCBL and ebXML) that would allow developers
to get a jump on prototyping the potential standards (often a useful
exercise to avoiding spec'ing oneself into a corner... at least based on my
past experience with ECMA/ISO/IETF Distributed Print Standards and The
Palladium Print System project).

Brian

--
Brian D. Handspicker