Subject: RE: ebXML for the SME

Abid,

My opinion is that Microsoft will no doubt succeed in its efforts to
standardize a whole host of business processes across multiple verticals AND
deploy solutions that enable and leverage that standardization.

Standards bodies can standardize these to some extent as proven by what
UN/EDIFACT and the ASC X12 standards have done with their standardized
messages. HOWEVER, the real challenge is not in just developing the
standardized messages within which are the implicit standardized processes,
BUT in also providing and deploying the technology solutions that exploit
them. Ever since I got involved in the EDI effort in the middle 1980's I've
said that the real need is to have these standards buried deep into the
solution and totally transparent to the user. By user I mean the business
user and not the IT developer. Forcing the users top deal with the standards
at any level is a major barrier. Consider how quickly the fax became
ubiquitious as soon as the underlying standards became totally transparent
to the average person and the devices truly became plug and play; ditto the
telephone. No one anywhere in the world today has a concern that when they
use the telephone or send a fax that the message will not be able to be
understood by the receiving device and conveyed to the human. They "just do
it." This is the final piece of the puzzle and one that the SDO's are not in
a position to provide. When the SME can buy a small business accounting
system off the shelf that can interoperate with the large business systems
is when we'll see rapid adoption. Microsoft is in a position to drive this
interoperability whether some like it or not.

Furthermore, again my opinion, if Microsoft felt it needed the likes of the
SDO's, like UN/CEFACT, ASC X12, or ebXML, then they would have been a major
player there strongly influencing the development of these bodies' work
products. They weren't and they aren't. Thus, the strong message from
Redmond to me is that MS feels that it can tap into the expertise it needs,
either internally or by external partnering, so that it doesn't need to be a
major player in these SDO's.

Whether this bodes ill or well for both the SDO's or Microsoft...only time
and the marketplace will tell. Stay tuned for the next installment of this
continuing series.....

Rachel Foerster
Principal
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.