Subject: RE: The initial ebXML business vocabulary - A call for a list ofcandidates

Folks,

The EAN-UCC Global Commerce Initiative (GCI) is providing an excellent base
from which EAN members all around the world can employ XML messaging. The
GCI project is producing a suite of business messages based on the XML
Schema (XSD). The first of the messages is expected to be made commercial in
July this year and I believe will become the 'standard' for at least the
Retail Industry in Australia.

At least one of the major retailers has already commenced in earnest to
implement the purchase order and others will follow.

Attempting to develop a single business message suitable for every Industry
participant has never worked in the past and I doubt that it ever will.
However, considering the extensibility structure of the XSD schema this is
not a problem. If there is acceptance of a base schema then an exact fit for
a user is always possible.

I have been working with the Retail Industry in Australia on the issue of a
single standard since the late 1980's and it is yet to be realised. It is no
wonder that there is a growth in service industries acting as intermediaries
to ensure trading partners send or receive messages capable of integration
or least interfacing with their back-office systems.

There is still a wide view that users will somehow cope with technology but
in fact, they have no interest in doing so. The expectation is one of
complete technology transparency. "Give me an order, do'nt tell me what is
looks like!". As long as technology is as simple as the act of making a
phone call, to end users that is all they want.

Wavell Cole

Snr. EC Consultant
GE ecXpress
Level 15, 565 Bourke St.
Melbourne Vic. Australia 3000
Office: 61-3-9927 2502, Fax 61-3-9629 8838
Mobile: 0409 148 260
Dial Comm 345 0002
email: wavell.cole@gxs.ge.com
WAP email: colew@telstra.com