Subject: RE: The initial ebXML business vocabulary - A call for a list ofcandidates

Title: RE: The initial ebXML business vocabulary - A call for a list of candidates

Folks,

When ebXML was in its embryotic state, there was a general feeling that using existing EDI element identifiers would be undesirable, they would not reflect the directions towards business process solutions. However, now that ebXML approaches a mature stage and universal element names appear light years from resolution, I am not so sure about this.

The UNTDED (UN Trade Data Elements Directory) which is the core of all UN/EDIFACT messages, contains descriptions of all elements by number and short description plus attributes. As an example, DE1004 is a "Document/Message Number". A similar identification in X12 is 324 "Purchase Order Number".

The advantage of the UN over X12 was that DE1004 could be applied to any business document to number it. The type of document is identified clearly in an XML document so the more generic element name is justified. If I was sending a EDI DESADV (despatch advice) in response to a EDI ORDERS message I would identify the original purchase order  using again, DE1004 "Document/Message Number". No confusion and universal applicability.

I note that the UCC-EAN GCI usage is element name = Document, Attribute of ID. Fairly close to the UNTDED.

XML schemas developed by various organisations have used the existing EDI UNTDED conventions and have been able to accelerate their releases. The outstanding variation to this is RosettaNet which has been developed by a specific Industry although with some leaning on X12. Other industry members have expressed interest in using the RosettaNet element identifiers.

If I was developing my own schema my logical choice would be to fall back on the years of effort put into the UNTDED. XML purists however would pull their hair out no doubt with cries of "..but it does'nt matter!". After all is'nt this the very essence of XML, use any element name you like but define it clearly.

Having said that, the argument for a universal approach for element names in electronic business messages has been widely accepted.  As there are numerous schema developments for the business community taking place every day and everybody confident in their approach, it would appear that a 'new' universal vocabulary will present difficulties in bringing to fruition - should we persevere?

With the capability of extensibility within the XSD schema, we could namespace to a UNTDED vocabulary, or other vocabulary for that matter. What I am suggesting here is re-writing, or use as is, the existing UNTDED for ebXML use. History has shown that no matter how close we get to a universal development, there is always some differentiation required by a user that has not been foreseen. EDI was difficult to change, XML is more sympathetic.

I can look back on at least 12 years of waiting for application software developers to interface to EDI messages and with little response. I do not believe that there will be a rush to support XML. There are around 1000 different back-office and ERP applications in use here downunder within our comparitively small business community. Middleware software providers can ease the burden and accelerate the uptake of XML particularly with the use of any-to-any translation software now firmly in place.

Wavell Cole