Subject: RE: How to Create an ebXML Order (EDI 850 transaction set)

John:

I was unaware of the "direct" capabilities of XEDI that you mention, but I
still have some concerns about what XEDI is...

(1) Not everything in the X12 and EDIFACT standards is a "core" construct
that will further the ebXML vision. The Core Components group did a ton of
work identifying the needed semantics as opposed to those that are legacy
bloat, unused, etc. And yet, you seem to be advocating abandoning this work
and simply taking the whole lot on again, a huge job of filtering and
harmonization.  It will be far easier to take a somewhat stripped-down view
of EDI standards semantics, already organized into a component library, and
build them up to be what they need to be in conjunction with the JCC work.
Hence, xCBL.

Also, it is somewhat worrisome that using XEDI would become a
so-far-unresolved discussion about whether or not X12 or EDIFACT was
"better". They have their differences, and that is one set of arguments that
I really don't want to inherit when I'm trying to get a business vocabulary
deployed quickly. Despite the harmonization efforts to date, they have
different syntactic and semantic structures. In building xCBL, we had to do
a lot of harmonization work around things such as code lists, and this was a
non-trivial effort, even when we had subsetted which code-lists would be
used. In many critical areas, xCBL has already performed this harmonization,
generally by identifying and removing overlap to the extent possible, but it
uses codes a lot less than either X12 or EDIFACT.

(2) Because XEDI is modelling constructs designed to be expressed in EDI
syntax, it sacrifices much of the power of XML schema languages: for
example, local renaming versus typing (even with a "segment_DTM" element, I
still have a child giving me full semantic qualification in the form of a
code. Far better to have the full, local semantic qualifier at the top level
when developing with tree-based/object-based technology such as current XML
tools. Encapsulation is a standard part of OO, and yet you have modelled it
out of the picture!) The way XEDI models this stuff, you have thrown away
the benefits of using easy things like XPath and XSL by requiring that
everything be qualified by it's children, with the efect of multiplying
lines of code in an XSL stylesheet by the number of possible qualifying
codes. Ow. (Not impossible, but difficult and unneccessary.) xCBL, being
written natively in an XML schema language, does the correct kind of
encapsulation while still retaining the needed type information.

(3) The management of a core library - particularly when you are dealing
with things like managing extensions for processing at run-time - is very
tricky, especially when you're dealing with XML schema, as opposed to DTDs.
xCBL has benefitted from looking at how this is done with EDIFACT, and UBL
can no doubt improve this further. I feel that ultimately xCBL is the best
example we have of an XML-schema-based vocabulary that addresses not just
the issues of data modelling, but the management and coordination aspects of
using XML schemas. No-one else has as much experience doing this, and it is
reflected in the way the componentization is done. Historically, the model
used was EDIFACT, modified to handle many of the new issues brought to the
table by the use of XML schemas. XEDI doesn't have this history - it is a
simple, DTD-based reflection of what is in an EDI vocabulary. Whie this is a
good base, it's not enough, and not what xCBL has to offer.

I guess I simply don't agree with you: I feel like many aspects of typical
XML libraries are evident in xCBL but are lacking in XEDI, even simple
things like having intuitive tag names to people who are not already EDI
experts (albeit these will, in UBL, change to reflect the ebXML naming
conventions). I am, no doubt, prejudiced, but then, so are you, so that's
pretty much equal. What I will say is that I have yet to see you present a
compelling argument for using XEDI as a base vocabulary for doing UBL. I do
see XEDI as a useful part of a transformation solution, and that is a
non-trivial thing. But I don't buy that it is a better place to start than
xCBL, if only because it does nothing but inherit it's good properties from
EDIFACT and X12, which are things we've already taken advantage of in the
ebXML work. xCBL can offer a little bit more than that, since it brings some
others considerations around schema management and XML design to the table.

No doubt we will have a chance to continue the discussion...

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory