Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: OASIS Members to Develop Universal BusinessLanguage

Title: RE: [ebxml-dev] RE: OASIS Members to Develop Universal Business L anguage
Arofan,

> You make a point about industry-specific vocabularies that is exactly one of the issues that the core component mechanism was designed to address. This is the idea of
> "context" as used in these specifications.

To make things simpler, you actually have also to consider diverse national regulations handling the same industry worldwide. My next questions to all of you:

> The context mechanism provides a way for each industry or other interest group to specify deviation from core components and standard message types, and to tie that
> specific deviation to their industry, business process, product, geographical setting, legislative influences, etc.

Can you give me a hint/link towards specs/definitions for the context mechanism? A dummy-guide, maybe? Or just a simple explanation how it is supposed to work in practice?

> A business person goes to look in the repository for what document structure to use. By filling in information about    what business process, what industry, what
> geographical region, and what products, he will discover exactly what        changes to the generic components and documents other people using the repository saw as
> necessary to do business in    the same situation. Because it is easier and cheaper to re-use others work than to do a redesign, the busines person    will take what he finds, and
> use it. Only if something is missing will the businessperson have to go back and create    something new, and only where the gap specifically is. This new work would then
> become available for that specific      business situation in the repository, for others to discover and re-use.

Specifically, to rise the policy discussion once again - who is the likeliest operator for such repository - service providing businesses, state, third parties such as trade facilitation units/bodies, or all of them jointly? Does such practice exist, to your knowledge? Where (give URL)? Are there already existent ebXML compliant industrial repositories known to you, and in which countries?

And, more to the point, how is the business person in your example supposed to notify the repository operators that there is a gap and (s)he has a proposal to fill it wit such and such component?

Cheers,
Kremena