Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Discovery

That's an interesting point and is similar to what Mike Rawlins said
about B2B and B2C for the example of the Peruvian sweater.

I may be wrong, but I think that many (most?) of SMEs have some
form of back-end software; it may be a spreadsheet or some other
PC-based tool that they use to keep accounting of their activities.
In the example of the peruvian sweater, if the local producer has
a PC for use at work, it is likely that some software takes care
(in some way) of parts of the activities.

I think that one of the advantages of ebXML (both in terms of
its openness and in terms of its collaborative model) is to
"allow" for some software to be created (and, then, used) which
will actually allow a more direct integration between the
backend and the external processes. SMEs could have some software
that "enforces" the ebXML collaboration and that, hopefully,
will be able to integrate with the backend (even it is
Excel and Eudora).

Maybe this is in the "dream area"... the availability of such
software would greatly depend on the use of "popular" backend
packages...

But I also think that automating the process even without a
direct integration with the backend (i.e. having some software
which enforces the collaboration and "writes on disk" some
intermediate products of the collaboration) could also provide
some advantage (for instance being able to filter the information,
to propose them in the way they are required and to guide through
the steps, especially the most tedious ones).

I am not a great "fun" of "discovery", but if it could help
(via some user-friendly frontend) SMEs to discover their
partners and to "get the software" that would link them
to the other partners "as peers" (not as an extension of a
process that is managed elsewhere), it would be great!

/stefano