Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Off-the-shelf ebXML software packages

>>2) If off-the-shelf packages are the way to go, why haven't I be able to
>>locate any news of impending releases, for it has been half a year since
>>the finalisation of ebXML? Are they any releases on their way, and how
>>soon ? At what price range too (even as cheap as <1000 USD)?

This is the ideal price point, however, integration tool vendors think they
can command high prices just because they "can".  They are "threatened" by
this price range. And I have heard vendors explain price increases are "to
be in-line with the competition", and even have stated that some of their
clients have asked "what's wrong with your product since it is cheaper than
your competition?".  Its smoke and mirrors.

If there is anything that Microsoft did right was to make some software
affordable to the small guy (SME).  If mass proliferation is to occur, than
the ebXML price point should be no more than MS Office for the SME.

Personally, I favor the open source movement to make ebXML happen.

I would invite the vendors posted at the following URL to also post their
prices.

    http://ebxml.org/implementations/index.htm

Scott Nieman
Practice Director - eIntegration