Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] CPPA Message Packaging

OK, here is a short example using
a standard use case (which I am
uncertain is actually used anywhere!)

The normal ebXML Request message has
a MIME structure that consists of
a "multipart/related" MIME entity
that in turn consists of two MIME
entities: a SOAP envelope (text/xml)
and a payload (with a MIME type typically
of text/xml, application/xml, or
some other xml flavored MIME type,
such as application/something+xml.)

An extension might be to add a third
MIME entity within the multipart/related
of (making this up) application/cadcam-drawing.

This extension would be used in an industry
in which a Purchase Order might be accompanied
by a machine-readable specification for the
items(s) being purchased. A CPA template or CPP
for this "extension" could then indicate
how this PO+cadcam request was packaged.

The MIME packaging procedure is inherently extensible in this
way. MIME specifies a default processing mode for any
multipart/subtypes, which is to just fall back to multipart/mixed
handling, which then just processes each bodypart in accordance
with its MIME handler, or with the default handler
(a handler that might just store the bodypart in a file).

The multipart/related type is, however, one in which
some richer semantics for processing is indicated. How do we
tell whether this semantics is supported or not? We could call
up the other side once we knew all the details!  Or,
better/faster/cheaper, we could rely on a more automated process
to set up this richer connection when possible. That is one thing
CPPA related approaches are trying to do.

If you are actually interested in XML text of a
Packaging element with extensions beyond those of
ebXML messaging, you can find some
(a little outdated) in the ebXML Technical Architecture
Security Risk support, in  one of the appendices.

Dale Moberg