Subject: [ebxml-dev] ebXML has not failed

I encouraged that so many of you have taken the time to respond to the
provaction that ebXML has not succeeded in terms of its initial mandate.
Also that most believe with some conviction that ebXML has a bright future.
This was exactly the kind of reaction I was hoping for.

My apologies to Mike for so paraphrasing his set of articles. However, for
those who have read them, the inescapable tone is somewhat negative. That
said, I for one prefer to not go around wearing rose tinted glasses, IT is a
practical profession and one where everything will build (and sell) is
basically flawed. I also note that the series has (at least) one more to go
and that more encouraging noises to those of us who are new to the ebXML
standards may come forth.

In terms of my own interpretation, I was partly put off, but particpating as
I do in many other related discussion forums, it is remarkable how often
questions and issues in other implementations could potentially be resolved
by parts of the ebXML specs.

Let us also not forget that many significant technical decisions made in
large organisations such as the one I work for, are not strongly based on
technical issues. The more compelling case is very often made based on the
commercial proposition and the mitigation of business risk. IT is a bit
player here, how many of you have inherited 'golf course' IT strategy :-|.
This means that we often have to be careful (selective) about the
information that is propogated to senior management, and cautious about
those who manage to gain 'their ear' often at the expense of 'rubbishing the
opposition' (a pet hate of mine).

This is in part why mainstream vendor support is often crucial. Web based
messaging capability will often be part of a broader technology offering.
Thus from one perspective I am very happy with the forces behind and
involved in the ebXML standards initiatives. This is clearly a powerful
group that demands due consideration. Microsofts involvement is not
essential, I simply identify that they like IBM, Sun and many other names
that have been mentioned, also have influence. CGNU is predominantly an IBM
shop, so I am happy to hear of their involvement and that of Oracle, Sun, et
al.

I for one am also working hard to establish ebXML standards across the CGNU
group. We have created our own implementation of the MS spec as part of a
proof of concept exercise and are working actively with representatives from
insurance services standards bodies as well as third party consumers of our
services and our own software suppliers. So make no mistake, at present I am
highly supportive. At this stage, this view is not based on the certain
knowledge that ebXML will command an important position amongst various
standards initatives, but more that most of us have to move more quickly
(usually more than is desirable) in establishing our own service offerings
with our own supply chains and other corporate partnerships. ebXML appears
to represent a good set of standards to adopt, and in making this choice, we
can at least progress our BUSINESS strategies rather than continue to
pontificate and await a nirvana.

So, my apologies to those of you who viewed my provaction as ill judged. The
basis was not invented, but rather sourced from not only written (reputable)
texts but more often from our own contacts within most of the major vendors
that were mentioned above and many others of greater or lesser import.

I hope to be an active particant in the ebXML dev list, so you will perhaps
forgive my blunt approach.

Regards

Fraser.