Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] Anyone else rather perturbed by IBM's recentannouncement....

I can't comment on the validity of IBM's claims.  However, I do know
that when IBM's tpaML work was brought into ebXML, representations were
made to the ebXML steering committee that IBM was signing all rights to
tpaML over to ebXML.  Obviously, some details needed to be worked out
since ebXML never formally existed as a legal entity.  The rights would
have to have been assigned to one or both of the two sponsoring
organizations - UN/CEFACT or OASIS.

Had we on the steering committee known that tpaML might somehow be
encumbered, I feel fairly confident that we would have voted against
accepting the submission.

This makes you wonder where we really stand in regard to the MSS use of
SOAP with attachments.  I recall some mention of RAND terms, but don't
recall how it finally came out.  Can anyone clarify?

This news is really disappointing.  If ebXML is going to fail, I would
much rather see it do so on its own deficiencies rather than
intellectual property issues.

Mike