Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Distributive Directories ?

David,

IMHO, there are real problems from a business stand point of defining a
distributed directory the way that you define it.  1) Companies spend a lot
of money acquiring customers.  To place those customers in a common registry
is a non starter.  We see real problems with services like Passport that
allow all participating merchants to share all customers.  I think that
companies will follow the customers.  They will join the registries that
service a specific market segment to address that market segment. 2)  I have
always thought that a common registry really needed a qualifying function.
This function would judge the worthiness of the requestor. Maybe this would
be apart of the negotiation process. One of the potential abuses that could
result is competitors could query the registry for pricing information then
programmatically reduce there pricing.  Now this doesn't really bother me
that much if all participants are aware of the activity. Perhaps special
purpose registries could be set up to satisfy these market needs. In theory,
this would drive market efficiency.  Vendors could reposition and price
products and services based on the spot price of the products and services
and inventory and/or service capacity.

I think that this leads to world that looks more like Farrukh's.  Service
providers and larger organizations will need distributed registries like
Farrukh has described to handle transaction volumes and business continuity.
We are seeing even in the UDDI world a need for private registries or
combination private/public registries.

zack