Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components

Mike Rawlins wrote:

> Although I agree with the conclusions, there is some misinformation here
> that needs to be corrected.

> >There are some fundamental issues that might prevent this as well as the political
> >ones.
> >
> >UDDI is a registry only...no repository, where as ebXML has both.  That could (and
> >
> ebXML specifies only the registry interfaces, information model, etc.
>  The details of the repository that is served by the registry is left up
> to the implementer.  So, they aren't that far apart in this regard.

Because ebXML Registry uses a special RegistryObject called ExtrinsicObject
to provide meta data for a repository item, a repository item in ebXML is
a lot more than just a URL. It is a completely managed content where
the lifecycle events from submission, approval, deprecation and deletion are all
managed by the registry. This life cycle management enforces rules such
as one can't delete an ExtrinsicObject while there are still references
to it. In such cases one can still deprecate the ExtrinsicObject in
which case new references to it cannot be created.

Furthermore all access to the repository item is managed via the access
control policies and authorization rules for the ExtrinsicObject.
So I would argue that UDDI and ebXML are not the same when it comes to
repository.

Sang Shin                       sang.shin@sun.com
Strategic Market Development    (781) 442-0531(Work)
Sun Microsystems, Inc.          (781) 993-1136(Fax)

http://www.plurb.com/misc/xml/brandeis-xml-2001.html#bio
http://www.plurb.com/misc/te/SangSchedule.html