Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Distributive Directories ?

reply:
Please note: While Farrukh's suggested approach is outlined below, much of
this is proposed for the ebXML Reg/Rep V3 specification efforts.  This work
is still -tbd-.  This is not included within the current V2 ebRS and ebRIM
specifications.
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 9:51 AM
To: David Lyon; andrzej@chaeron.com; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

One related point on ebXML Registry Federation ideas is that a federation is
a very
loose and voluntary union of registries.

A few points that may help illustrate the concepts follow:

-Any registry could define a new federation and declare itself to be a
leader of
that federation.

-A registry wishing to be a federation leader must implement an additional
FederationLeader interface

-Any number of registries could voluntarily join that federation.

-A Registry may be a member of multiple federations

-To be able to join a federation a registry must support a FedeationMember
interface

-Federations support both a peer-to-peer and hierarchical model

Farrukh

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> David,
>
> I wanted to mention that ebXML Registry has for more than a year now a
planned
> work item to support Federated ebXML Registries. This work item is now
slated
> for V3 based on the current Registry TC plans. Unlike a replicated
approach the
> federated registry approach is more like a distributed (partitioned)
database
> where the union of all members of a federation appear as a single logical
> registry to clients performing a federated operation.
>
> We intend to have early prototypes done as the federated registry spec
evolves
> in the Open Source implementation of ebXML Registry at:
>
>     http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.com
>
> I would be interested in a discussion on requirements for this feature
based on
> our wealth of collective experience.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh
>
> David Lyon wrote:
>
> > Andrzej,
> >
> > You've raised some really good points.
> >
> > Now I don't profess to be an expert in UDDI or WSDL but I've always
liked
> > the general philosophy behind ebXML. Generally speaking the idea of a
> > registry is a good one, it's virtually an extension of the Trading
Partner
> > information that is kept in most of the old EDI software programs.
> >
> > Has anybody ever considered a Distributive Directory ?
> >
> > This is now possible and viable with broadband and offers advantages for
> > small business over a centralised registry.
> >
> > The philosophy behind a Distributive Directory is that a company joins
an
> > Exchange and when they do their details are broadcast (name, address,
> > net-address) to everybody on the exchange.
> >
> > The details of the new company are stored in the database of all the
> > companies that are connected.
> >
> > The result is that within a city or region, everybody can have the
contact
> > details of everybody else and their pricelist/catalog.
> >
> > One could connect an entire city so that everybody could share everybody
> > elses information.
> >
> > With broadband transmission speeds, a 2gig/hertz processor and a 70 gig
hard
> > drive, this seems to be readily achievable. That btw, is the hardware
that
> > the local Plumber can afford.
> >
> > Surely this sort of technology is on the verge of becoming a reality.
There
> > are some among us who have seen it in operation.
> >
> > Comments ?

That