Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ...

                    04/22/2002 03:39 PM       cc:     "'Todd Boyle'" <tboyle@rosehill.net>, rachelf@ix.netcom.com

the backs of others.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Rawlins [mailto:mike@rawlinsecconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 2:16 PM
To: Christopher Harvey
Cc: 'Todd Boyle'; rachelf@ix.netcom.com; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Excuse me, but I can't help but violently disagree with most of this
sentiment!  The main problem is not necessarily with the SME, but with
the tools that are available to them.  Most would accommodate a big
customer's request to do business electronically if it was cost
effective for them to do so.  In the current way of doing things (and
I'm afraid how ebXML may turn out the same way) it costs them more to do
business electronically than by other means.  And you blame *them* for
that?  That's exactly how the big guys work.  If they can't show an ROI
on something, they won't do it.

Your thinking reflects a big stick approach which I am increasingly
seeing, with large buyers imposing financial penalties of all sorts upon
their suppliers in force a shift of costs from the customer to the
supplier.  Does this produce efficiencies?  In some cases yet, but as
often as not it forces the supplier to raise their prices so that they
can recover costs and still make a profit.  This is *not* a very good
model.

We need better solutions, not bigger sticks...

Christopher Harvey wrote:

>Rachel,
>
>>What still amazes me is the assumption (apparently) on the part of the
>>
>large
>
>>enterprise is that if they get their needs meet the small guys will stand
>>up, salute and march on.
>>

>Very true but... I am increasingly of the opinion that unless we use the
>power of the big guys down onto the SMEs, the latter will not bother to do
>anything.
>
>SMEs do not have much of a collective voice except the scream that will
come
>when they big guys hit them were it hurts. So, can we blame the big guys
for
>"taking charge"?
>
>As you may gather, my patience with (some... most) SMEs is wearing thin.
The
>average SME will ignore change until it is forced otherwise (at least in
>this part of the world). We are slowly getting more and more of the big
>corporations telling our SMEs: "Do it electronically, or lose the
business".
>Good, about bl**dy time.
>
>The SMEs have only themselves to blame. I am new to ebXML but my 0.02
cents
>worth is to ask all involved to understand the needs of the SMEs but to
use
>the big guys to force change.
>
>Regards
>Chris Harvey
>Zara Technology Pte Ltd
>Singapore

Boyle'"
><tboyle@rosehill.net>

Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com