Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components...

Rachel,

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 18:08, Rachel Foerster wrote:
> James,
>
> Sounds interesting....except when I got to your statement:
>
> "- It enables this data to be seamlessly transferred between backend
> systems or viewed and edited by users as required."
>
> How is this "seamless" transfer between backend systems accomplished. Who
> has to set it up and what tools must they use to do so? If any one at the
> SME site has to configure, then it misses my expectations.

Octimal Forms produce Octimal Records. These records are generic in nature
and are designed in such a way (at least when combined with RecordType
information) that allows them to be exported to any datasource (using ODBC or
unixODBC). The resulting tables are of course also generic and can be created
on the fly by Octimal if required.

Although Octimal does not require an ODBC datasource (it can simply use the
filesystem), if one is available, then payload information can be exported to
it in a generic fashion.

This datasource may be as simple as an empty .mdb file (provided out of the
box), or an existing relational database, in which the Octimal tables
effectively act as holding/import tables.

Through the use of various database objects (such as triggers), data stored in
the generic Octimal holding tables can be synchronized with an existing
schema, effectively by applying transformations at the database level.

So, to conclude:
1. Octimal-lite can be downloaded free of charge and used without a database.
2. Those that wish to benefit from a database can begin do so simply by
   providing a DSN.
3. Octimal can also facilitate far more advanced integration if desired
   through the use of database objects.

I hope this answers your questions.

James
--