Subject: Fwd: [ebxml-dev] gorilla hair v beach balls

This kind of information and suggestion (below) is very useful, but better so on the ebxml-mktg marketing list.  Thanks to Karl Best for pointing this out.  I am forwarding this there, and will send over copies of a few of the other salient messages in this thread.  Anyone who wants to follow extended conversations about white papers, spin and public profile standards .. or just wants to know where the "gorilla hair" tagline started ... might consider looking there shortly.  The list can be joined at http://lists.ebxml.org/ob/adm.pl.   It has just been turned on this week, but I expect will achieve critical mass reasonably soon.

Regards  Jamie Clark
Proud to be an ebXML contributor (like JJ)

~ James Bryce Clark
~ VP and General Counsel, McLure-Moynihan Inc.   www.mmiec.com
~ Chair, US ABA Business Law Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce
~ www.abanet.org/buslaw/cyber/ecommerce/ecommerce.html
~ 1 818 597 9475   jamie.clark@mmiec.com   jbc@lawyer.com
~ This message is neither legal advice nor a binding signature.  Ask me why.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:58:53 -0500
From: Brian Repko <brian_repko@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] gorilla hair v beach balls

After reading what someone posted about what Gartner said about ebXML,
I thought I would share the following...

I attended a "session" with a Meta Group consultant and they continue to push WebServices and a "future" of WebServices that includes all the stuff that the standard profile does not contain.  When asked about those things (binary collaboration, guarenteed messaging, transaction, security) they said that that was what MOM systems were for.

After words I asked the consultant about JCA and ebXML and in regards
to ebXML, he said that most people he speaks to view it as TCP/IP (WS)
vs OSI (ebXML) - ebXML is a well-designed framework but no one uses b/c
everyone has TCP/IP available to them.  I know...I know...gorilla hair vs beach balls - but that is another "view" out there with people that affect decision makers.

Personally, I think the whitepapers are long overdue, but the governing
bodies (UN/OASIS) need to start meeting with the Gartners and Metas and
generate some inertia (positive) with industry influencers.  Them along
with various groups that have bought into ebXML (Covisint/RosettaNet) to let people know - this is coming.  In addition, I think that we need to start to have some RegReps up and running with standard data - country codes, etc.  Not sure if that is UN or ISO but if they are up and running, then people will start to use this stuff.  At least thru JAXM.

My thoughts...  B
--
Brian Repko
Project Architect