Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Reminder: ebXML BPSS 1.05 Public Review Period Ends 7Sept2002

Some replies below.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      Jean-Jacques
                      Dubray                   To:       "'Chris Garty'" <chris.garty@ip3systems.com>, ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
                      <jjd@eigner.com>         cc:
                      08/16/2002 11:16
                      AM

As a contributor and author of the BPSS spec I have always felt that
BP-SS is a misnomer. It should be called Business Collaboration
Specification Schema as the purpose of the specification is to describe
how 2 companies interacts with each other (and consequently how their
business processes interact with one another). So to be clear BPSS does
not overlap with the core of BPEL or BPML for that matter.

MWS:  BPSS is a misnomer for another reason.  The word "Schema" is used
in a different sense than an XML schema since BPSS is a specification,
not just a schema.  Consider that the proper name
of the BPSS XML schema is the Business Process Specification Schema schema.
Also, the proper name of the specification (in parallel with the other
ebXML
specifications) is the Business Process Specification Schema Specification,
another nice tongue twister.  I suggest "Business Process Choreography."

MWS:  Realistically, it is probably too late to change the name.

Each of these specifications have something that covers "business
process interoperability". In case of BPML it is a global model with the
combination of WSCI interface definition. The way BPML/WSCI works is
that you describe the choreography of the interface of the two parties
and then you stitch together these interfaces via a global model, so if
you want to get a feel for what the choreography of the collaboration is
you have to keep going back and forth between the API choreography
definitions and infer the sequence of message exchange that way !!

BPEL uses the same semantics (except for a few limitations) to describe
the "abstract process" which is the collaboration between two processes.
Two web services representing the interfaces of the processes are
related via a "service link" definition.

Last but not least, I have create a business process definition language
based on the semantics of ebXML BPSS which enables process definitions
that combine both web services and ebXML business transactions. As a
reminder, the concept of business transactions as a "packaged message
exchange" is more general than the RPC like web services operations.
This is why there is some value in defining a process that can deal with
both. Here are the corresponding documents:
http://www.ebpml.org/ebpml.doc
http://www.ebpml.org/ebpml2.2.doc

Cheers,

Jean-Jacques Dubray____________________
Chief Architect
Eigner  Precision Lifecycle Management
200 Fifth Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451
781-472-6317
jjd@eigner.com
www.eigner.com

Period
>>Ends 7 Sept2002
>>
>>I was reading through this document and wondering...
>>
>>How does the the ebXML Business Process Specification Schema (ebXML
>>BPSS) compare to the new Business Process Execution Language for Web
>>Services (BPELWS)?
>>
>>Are there any publically available documents, articles or white papers
>>comparing the two?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>- Chris

Ends