Subject: [ebxml-dev] Re: ebXML applications and IBM patents (again)....

Martin:

> You do not need to use the ebXML registry in order to use CPPs and CPAs.
> The registry supports discovery of potential trading partners.  If two
> trading partners want to get together and simply build a CPA to govern
> their message exchanges, that is fine and conforms to the specification.

Just wondering if you can clarify why IBM is dragging their tails in granting a
license for CPA/CPP usage to the Open ebXML project?

http://www.openebxml.org

To quote from the Open ebXML site:

> Unfortunately uncertainties regarding the IBM IPR statement relating
> to OASIS CPPA prevents us from releasing full open source support for
> OASIS CPP and CPA documents. A license for open source development has
> been applied for but no answer has been received during the last couple
> of months.We have also received a clear indication that IBM is willing
> to defend their patent from research and new innovations

This does not jive with your comments a few months back about IBM making
their CPA/CPP IP available without restriction.

Thanks.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com