Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] Core Components

I will add to Farrukh's answer.

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> >grateful if any one of you provide necessary
> >information on whether each Trading Partner has to
> >implement the Core Component and what exactly is the
> >purpose of the Core Component.
> >
> The above question are best answered by experts from the CC team. I will
> give a lay answer.
>
> CC are used as common building blocks for business documents. What
> Trading Partners implement is the Business Documents and the Business
> Processes that process those documents. In most cases a Trading Partner
> is not dealing at the CC level unless they choose to define new business
> documents.

The main use of CC's will be by business process designers.  A CC is not
straightforwardly usable in a business document as it would lack
context.  Some have compared a CC to a "Data-type" for instance
variables in programming.  I will try to illustrate this with a simple
example.

An example of a CC may be "Monetary.Amount".  When a business designer
uses that CC,  he examines the context of where it will be used.  There
are 6-8 context driver categories based on who you talk to.  The latest
CC specification says "Information that is needed by a business process
is used in a context that is defined by how and where the business
process can takes place".  This is very confusing but I think it means
that the business designer must have a very good idea of the values for
each context driver.

Context drivers include "Business Process and role(s), Product,
Geographical, Language, Regulatory, Industry and system capabilities.
If for instance,  I am sending a person an invoice, and the person is in
the United States and so am I, and we both are using XML compliant
systems,  the core component originally called "Monetary.Amount" may be
finally expressed in an instance as the following XML:

<InvoiceTotal currency="USD" displaySign="$">12.00</InvoiceTotal>

If it were in the European Union, in France,  it may be reflected as:

<QuantiteDeFacture currency="EUR"
displaySign="&#8364;">12,00</QuantiteDeFacture>

Both of these latter items are instances of Business Information
Entities.  BIE's are derived by constraining a CC to be used within a
certain Business Context.  BIE's are probably more likely to be stored
and/or referenced from a Registry.

I have done a lot of tactical work in this area and have written the
following:

- an XML rendition of a Core Component
- an XML rendition of a BIE
- an XML declaration of a Business Context
- A simple java program that reads in the Business Context and an XML
file containing both the CC and several inline BIE's and spits out the
final metadata (RNG schema fragment) based on the context values.

If you (or anyone else) wants to play around with this,  please let me
know and I will email the ZIP file with a README.

Hope this helps.

Duane Nickull

--
VP Strategic Relations,