Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] ebXML software requirements

Hi Tony,

You might want to consider the Java Web Services Developer Pack (Java WSDP),
which is a complete environment for getting started with XML and web services.

As such, it installs for you a version of Tomcat and does all of the
configuration etc. for you. Based on feedback we have received, for most
developers they find that this is a much easier route than downloading,
installing, and configuring from Apache. It also includes ANT and other handy
tools.

More info:
http://java.sun.com/webservices

I would also recommend downloading the companion Tutorial which explains how to
use the Java WSDP to develop XML applications, web applications, and web
services. It also includes instructions on using the pack with databases (like
PointBase, mySQL etc.). The tutorial gets rave reviews from developers.

cheers

pk

>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:54:34 -0500
>From: Tony Slosar <Tony.Slosar@supplysolution.com>
>Subject: [ebxml-dev] ebXML software requirements
>To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
ha1sca-mail1.SFBay.Sun.COM id gAN439705883

>Hello list,
>
>I am just starting to learn how to implement ebXML for the purposes of
demonstrating how small to medium suppliers can use it to transact BODs with
their Trading Partners.

>I am starting with the Hermes open source implementation.
>
>Here is my dilemma:
>
>The installation guide says the following are required:
>
>1) Java 2 Development Kit
>2) Database (i.e MySQL)
>
>I don't have a problem with that, but it also requires:
>
>2) Application Server (i.e. Tomcat)
>3) SMTP Server (i.e. ???)
>
>This is a lot to implement to get secure reliable messaging. There is a lot of
skill required to implement all of this software and integrate it to make it
work. This does not even address any of the other ebXML components - just MSH -
and not even back-end integration. Not a problem if you're GM as with the
recently discussed presentation, but what about the Voice Of the Lower Tiers?

>This sounds more complicated than EDI! Am I missing something here?
>
>I would assume this would all run on a Windows platform as that is what a lot
of the smaller guys have available. Tomcat seems like a big monster!

>Doesn't sound like "...enterprises of any size..." - has anyone done a study on
the costs of technical consultants to implement this at a site that doesn't have
expertise in Java, database, app servers, and mail servers?