RE: [ebxml-dev] CPPA to WSDL bindings

We started work on this last year but we lost both of our subteam
co-chairs for various reasons. So we still have interest in WSDL within
CPPA, but we are now aiming for WSDL 1.2 integration (of some sort) and
integration also of all the WS-Policy,Trust,SecureConversations,Etc,Etc
extensions. For wsdl 1.1, we would probably only support features found
in the ws-I basic profiles (as these have the best chance of supporting
interoperable implementations).

An additional issue is that CPPA and BPSS had agreed to coordinate how
we approached references, imports, or in-lining of (parts of) a WSDL.
BPSS has been trying to get out a new version and we have not agreed on,
or even much discussed, how to proceed on this topic.

Also, the main buzz about wsdl is that it provides a notation for nice
programming tricks of taking  xsd:complexTypes (or elements)
representing inputs, outputs, and faults, and then generating stub code
from them for getting/setting data. Also using reflection (or similar
way of getting type information), I can generate the wsdl descriptions
for class methods I have in my application server environment. How
useful this will be in the long run for helping in b2b integration
really remains to be seen. Semantic alignment is in no way guaranteed by
using wsdl on both ends, as far as I can tell.

Most of the features the CPPA helps to define and thereby promote
interoperable agreements about-- security formats, reliable messaging,
policy, PKI alignments--are in all the wsdl or soap extensions, such as
WS-Trust, WS-Policy, and so on.

We do welcome people providing us with use cases to help us define what
is useful on these topics

For example, is this the use case of interest:

Given a CPA template, generate a WSDL for the "CanSends and CanReceives"
present in it? This might be something doable (with more or less loss,
depending on the WS-AdditionalModules allowed) with an XSLT. [Though
general DOM manipulation APIs would probably be less tedious.] Wrap the
document namespaces involved in complexTypes, and stick them under the
appropriate wsdl operation (input, output, etc.), eventually defining a
portType. Find the endpoint (and if HTTP or HTTPS), get your port.
Binding will be more work. A MIME binding will be needed for ebXML's
SOAP with attachments. Many WSDL people agree that the current MIME
binding needs some work. (Many of us hope WSDL 1.2 fixes this situation
rather than jettisons it.) After all that is done somehow, and maybe
another wsdl defintion or two (service,etc) is added, then you hook up
your qnames as needed, and voila, a wsdl.

Perhaps you could send us the specific use cases or problems you hope to
solve, and we can consider it in the group as we move forward beyond
version 2.0.

Thanks,

Dale Moberg