Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Process Mapping and Business Specifications in thee-Business Age

I was very hopeful about this article given that it contained diagrams that
I help create and referenced documents that I contributed to.
Unfortunately, the article is half-baked (note, Paul makes no claims
otherwise).

Some points:
1.  The point of this paper "Importance of Process Mapping" is not well
substantiated by the contents of the document.  I would further argue that
the UMM and the Metamodel already covers this.  So what's the point. Note,
I'm no expert on the definition of Process Mapping beyond what is
illustrated in the article.

2.  The first paragraph would indicate that the point of the paper is
Process Mapping is better than "procedures."  What are procedures?

3.  Figure 1 sure looks like a UML activity diagram.  Activity diagrams of
business collaborations and busienss transactions are part of the UMM (which
is referenced later in the article).  Is the point that QA uses Figure 1
like diagrams and the UMM has a formal semantics around similar diagrams?

4. The relationship of the following paragraph to "Process Mapping" is
missing.
	"Although the EDI technology of that decade may remain as the
	... Over the last five years XML has been developed out of the
	foundation languages of the Internet as the answer to that problem."
5.  You write:
	"UMM is derived from the Unified Modelling Language MetaModel,
	extended specifically for business, that was developed by Rational
	Rose for the UN."
This statement is incorrect and has a number of things wrong with it. UMM
was not derived from UML.  Rational Rose is not a company.  The UMM was not
developed by Rational Rose.  These are the aspects that you need to
understand in a methodology: modeling/analysis process, meta-model, and
notation.  Remember that UML is not a process. Further note that UML
includes both meta-model and notation, seperate but related.  The UMM has
its own associated Meta-model.

5. You write:
	"These reference models are provided on an open-licence basis by the

	Technical Committees of OASIS so that anyone can use them as a
	template business model that they can customize to their needs..."

Be sure not to confuse the development of document vocabularies with
business process reference models. At best, only the Emergency Management TC
might be concerned with the development of business process models. The
others appear to be primarily focused on information schema.  Information
models without process models are very limiting and only lead to usage
problems and confusing. You should reference organizations like UN/CEFACT,
RosettaNet, SCOR, etc

Respectfully,
Brian S. Hayes