Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: [ubl-ndrsc] UN/CEFACT ATG 'Gen ericHeader' Project

In WSCI and BPML we had to solve exactly that problem. We chose a slightly
different approach by separating the 'data' from the 'message'.

The information exchanged between the processes is described in one place.
Let's call it 'input' for a second. If the process needs to know when the
request was made than it's input will include some property 'tns:createdAt'.

The manner in which that information is contained in the message is defined
elsewhere. It may be specific to a given message, in which case it is
defined as part of the payload. It may be generic to all messages, in which
case it is defined as part of the header (e.g. the creation timestamp).

Since we already have a list of pre-defined headers and that information is
included in all messages, it can be passed to the process without having to
replicate that information in the payload. Yet, the process does not have to
receive the entire set of headers, most of which are of no interest to the
process. It receives only those headers it has interest in.

The process is not aware of how the information in the message is
transformed into the inputs of the process. The process only cares about the
names, types and semantics. Any transformation is done at the messaging
level and is defined as part of the messaging-layer definition (in our case
WSDL).

There is no need to list 'address' in the architecture document. However, if
'address' is included in every header then it could be described using UBL
and can be propagated to the process instead of duplicating 'address' in
both header and payload.

arkin