Re: [ebxml-dev] Help needed. BPSS 1.05 Choreography

Dear Tony,

when I read Davids question, I didn't realize it was an example from the
spec. I
made the activity diagram on paper, but if it is of any value to you, I
could
draw it in visio (I usually take Bindstudio, but my colleague took the
laptop
that has bindstudio installed). When I started my research on ebXML (and
bpss in
particular), I found out that the large example in appendix A also has
some
errors, meanly concerning ID's (some ID's are defined twice). I haven't
tried
it, but I think this example doesn't even parse with the bpss schema.

If you like the diagram in Visio, plz let me know.
Best regards,
Dennis.

Tony Fletcher wrote:

> Dear Dennis and others,
>
> If you, or anyone else, has drawn an activity diagram - or any other
sort of
> diagram, that applies to \the example in the BPSS 1.05 specification
> document could you please forward it to me (and / or this list).  One of
the
> outstanding comments on BPSS 1.05 that has been agreed to be included in
the
> next revision is to give diagram(s) and a description of the process
used in
> the example.  So any such descriptions and diagrams will be very
gratefully
> received by those working on BPSS.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best Regards     Tony
> A M Fletcher
>
> Cohesions  (TM)
>
> Business transaction management software for application coordination
> www.choreology.com
>
> Choreology Ltd., 13 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX     UK
> Tel: +44 (0) 20 76701787   Fax: +44 (0) 20 7670 1785  Mobile: +44 (0)
7801
> 948219
> tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)

The
> only issue that might be relevant for you is the use of conditions on
> transitions. Since preconditions, postconditions and guards on
transitions
> are specified using normal text (instead of e.g. OCL), there is no way
> check correctness in an automated way.
>
> Back to you problem:
>
> I made an UML activity diagram of your binary collaboration, and I
noticed
> the following things:
>
> - Usually, not every BusinessTransactionActivity has a transition to an
end
> state "success". Only those activities that would lead to success in a
> "real-world environment" should have such a transition. In your case,
this
> would probably only be "process repair order" (I assume that "success"
means
> a correct repair order, and that "update repair order" is used to
correct
> flaws in a repair order).
>
> - The BusinessTransactionActivity "UpdateRepairOrder" has two outgoing
> transitions guarded "success", this is illegal! Guard on outgoing
> transitions from one BTA should ALWAYS exclude each other (just like in
> state machines), or else your introducing non-determinism (believe me,
we
> don't want that, it's complex enough already :-)
>
> - There is no transition from ProcessRepairOrder to UpdateRepairOrder,
this
> means the transaction will never be able to get in the state
> "UpdateRepairOrder". You should add this transition and guard it
something
> like "[business failure]"
>
> Hope this helps a little. Feel free to contact me any time (accept for
next
> week and the week after: vacation)
>
> anyone interested in process matching could read the article me and my
> colleague wrote on openXchange and ebXML (second half is on process
> matching):

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/ts/prj/openxchange/nl/paperXMLEuropeFolmer-Kr
uk