Re: ebXML: Will it Gain Traction in the US?

Yano, thank you for your kind reply.  It is useful to distinguish
between adoption -- operational use of the software in production,
and agreement, recommendation, approval, etc. of technical
designs by engineers.

I think we all share a total commitment to standards processes
on this list, so, here are my thoughts.  There are hundreds or
thousands, of approved, issued, final, etc. technical specifications
throughout the standards bodies and even more, among commercial
consortia, that are dead specifications, i.e. they never achieved
operational use in production.

MOST of them were a success for their authors:  they sold their
work, to their employers or clients :-(  Drawing on the good
reputation of previous, successful standards, these projects
cashed in, for themselves but subtracted from the reputation
of standards processes, and standards professionals.

It is terribly expensive in terms of time and resources, when a
standards effort involves so many thousands of people like ebXML.

We all need the most clear and precise feedback possible,
from manufacturers, distribution companies, services companies,
banking and every other sector.   Magazines for example, publish
some case studies sometimes.  But they are so isolated.
Even the OAG, which is highly coordinated by a very small
team, has the devil of a time figuring out who, or how many,
sites are using the stuff.

Finally, not all will agree,  but I believe in B2B commerce or
*any other technology* involving end-to-end communication
between unrelated companies, the sign of a mature spec. is
when it appears in open source software.  Kudos to the
open source ebXML regrep.  Need to see more like that.

In conclusion we need to see more
A) reports of companies in production, at least bi-lateral case studies,
B) openly-published details of the software and tools they are using, and
C) open source versions that work.

I suspect, that's what it will take to launch the revolution.
Todd