Subject: RE: CSG Answers to Mark Crawford's Questions regarding the UN/CEFACT Position Statement on ebXML

Title: RE: CSG Answers to Mark Crawford's Questions regarding the UN/CEFACT Position Statement on ebXML

Todd:

I don't disagree with you or try to counter your argumentation. I am just speaking from a pure technical perspective.

I have been talking about "highly connected systems" since 1999. I think we are there today: almost anything can be connected to anything with "enough" bandwidth. The web as a first generation of "highly connected system" (Browser to web server) worked well because it relied semantically poor standards (easy to design and consume) and semantically tolerant consumers.

I think that the technology to manage massively connected systems (with minimal user involvement) still needs to be invented. It is not so much setting up a massively connected system that is impossible to do, it is rather that it is impossible to maintain over time (therefore making its value less appealing), unless we crack the semantic problem: i.e. enough semantic over the wire and enough tolerance on the consumer. From a pure infrastructure problem we are there, SOA (this is what ebXML is BTW), but this alone will not get us very far.

Most standards of the WS stack are carefully eluding the semantic problem and the flexibility that will be needed to run these kinds of systems. Again, here ebXML is leading with CC. I mean it is appalling that an organization claims that it is building THE business process standard and does not have the concept of a user/organization within it! It does not even have the possibility to select activity performers (i.e. web services) from a group based on some rules, even my dad's workflow engine could do that with users. It can't even have a "consumer centric" point of view and allow the engine to transform the data into what an activity performer will need. In these conditions, if this insanity continues, I don't see any point in time where the simple vision you guys are articulating will ever come true.

Jean-Jacques
tel: 425-649-6584
Cell: 508-333-7634

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Boyle [mailto:tboyle@rosehill.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 10:24 AM
To: rachel@rfa-edi.com; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

I completely agree with Rachel's observation.  It is amazing
to be sitting here in 2003 with no way to send and receive the most elementary business information in machine-readable format. Orders, invoices, ship notices, remittance documents.

The invisible hand of the market might have worked pretty well for beans and pork bellies but it does NOT work for information systems, media, or telecoms.  What the market manifests is an infrastructure which most effectively captures gains for the information intermediaries.  The software and services are incapable of measuring the economic value of information to society as a whole (i.e. externalities).  The market incents Microsoft and Intuit to maximize their own advantage, inflicting $100 of harms on the economy for the sake of $1 of revenue for themselves. Don't you see how crazy this is?  The sheer waste of labor, fuel, facilities.  Whole districts full of office blocks, banks, and registries of all kinds, and freeways choked with commuters in neckties, driving to their control panels on their desktop.

Ray Walker said, the waste is in the $Trillions of dollars. http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&q=ray+walker+cefact+trillion

A possible answer may be in changing IP laws, removing protections from that component of the software whose value derives from its mere adoption as a standard.  Phaseout all protections when more than 10% of the base population employs the software. Regardless of its "innovativeness" etc.  If laws don't change then outcomes won't change.  Clearly, corporate behavior is not going to change globally, and, clearly the current outcome in software and technical standards is unacceptable.

Todd Boyle CPA 9745-128th Ave NE, Kirkland WA 98033