From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 21:50
To: Abdul Rahman Nazlihasri
Cc: 'ebXML Dev Forum'
Subject: Re: Development Guide

The ebXML Framework is essentially comprised of 5 layers (listed in no
particular order):

(1) Business Processes: Business Process Specification Schema (BPSS,
sometimes called ebBP)
(2) Data Modeling Methodology: Core Components
(3) Registry/Repository: ebXML Registry
(4) Messaging and Transport: ebXML Messaging Service (ebMS)
(5) Collaboration/Aggreement: Collaboration Protocol Profile and
Aggreement (CPPA)

Here is a brief assessement of how I believe each of these 5 layers
could be pertinent to your efforts, if at all (numbers correspond to
list above). In general, most of the ebXML capabilities would actually
be "supportive" of the portal, as the ebXML framework itself does not
define a portal standard:

(1) Portal can be an "actor" in a defined business process

(2) Core Components could be used to model the metadata by which the
information that is displayed in the portal is defined

(3) Registry can be used for registration/maintenance/discovery of
portlets that are used within the portal; the OASIS Web Services for
Remote Portlets (WSRP) TC is in the process of creating Technical Notes
for the registration of WSRP portlets in an ebXML Registry, to be
finalized within the next few months.

(4) ebMS could be used as the mechanism for transporting information to
and from the portal, for reliable messaging capabilities (if required),
and for providing message-level security features

(5) CPPA could be used as a mechanism by to "agree on" the various
capabilities needed for some of the other ebXML layers that may be
implemented, such as BPSS and ebMS

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

--
Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano