Subject: RE: SV: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?]

 And to further develop the health care aspect, Mike, as you know, in the
United States, the use of the X12 standards is now mandated by federal
regulation as required under the HIPAA legislation.

What makes the use of ebXML and the Internet even more of an issue for the
U.S. health care market is that the largest payer of health care (Medicare)
currently prohibits any Medicare patient data to be sent over the Internet,
whether or not encrypted. Since the average health care provider derives in
excess of 50% of total revenue by providing health care services to
Medicare-covered patients, use of ebXML and the Internet is effectively
stalled.

The second major hurdle is the HIPAA Security Regulation which requires that
HIPAA covered entities must **address** the use of encryption when using
insecure networks to transmit electronic protected health information
(ePHI). Given that more than 80% of health care organizations in the U.S.
can be classified as small businesses, they are totally reliant on their
application systems and other vendors to provide the enabling technologies
at an affordable cost. Without a **standard** interoperable encryption
solution that can be used by the hundreds of thousands of small healthcare
providers as easily as they use a fax today with diverse and disparate
systems, exploiting the Internet and ebXML will remain a dream and a vision
(although one that I've been dreaming of for years!!!)

Rachel
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.
39432 North Avenue
Beach Park, IL 60099