Re: SV: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?]

At 05:16 PM 7/13/2004 +0200, Bryan Rasmussen wrote <snipped>:

>Then, reading
>http://www.sterlingcommerce.com/PDF/ResourceCenter/RPA-032002-00008.pdf
>"The EDI market can be split into two logical units: general-purpose EDI
and
>health-care EDI. For the most part, there is very little interplay
between
>these  two groups and their internal dynamics are quite different from
one
>another. For  example, the general-purpose EDI area is made up of
>participants in many  different vertical sectors that purchase EDI
software
>and services from a group  of established vendors that provide basic EDI
>functionality. This is by far the  largest segment of the EDI market. The
>smaller health-care EDI area is unique in  that the vendors in this space
do
>not sell EDI software, but rather charge their  customers for access to
>hosted translation and document exchange services that  are specific to
the
>health-care industry. This leads to differing technical  requirement
skills
>between these two groups as organizations in the  general-purpose area
>usually have employees that understand the intricacies of  the EDI
software
>and the related data mapping processes (or hire consultants to  provide
this
>service), whereas in the health-care sector this function is  provided by
>the EDI service provider" it struck me that the second unit of the
market,
>which is a service-based model, might with ebxml come to be pre-eminent
>(does this seem reasonable to anyone) one thing I considered was that
>government organizations could perhaps provide ebXML services so as to
make
>it easier for smaller businesses to trade with larger organizations.
>Shielding the smaller businesses from the complexity and levelling the
>playing field.

Two points here - First, I do not necessarily agree with this
characterization by the fine folks at Sterling.  The service provider
model
is gaining ground among smaller, "general-purpose" EDI users as well.
This
is evident in the number of "web-based EDI" services that are
available.  One thing that *is* different about health care is that the
service providers tend to do a lot more than what EDI VANs
do.  Reformatting and rerouting claims are just two examples of the added
services.  They are generally referred to as "clearing houses", and they
were performing these functions long before health care in the U.S.
started
adopting X12 EDI formats.

Second - Although it might happen in other countries, having government
organizations in the U.S. provide ebXML services is a political
non-starter.  A model which might be more likely is for larger hubs to
assist smaller partners in coming on board, in much the same way that they

have with EDI.  However, the most significant hurdle is for the vendors
who
sell applications to smaller businesses to get on board.   So far, most
have been dragging their feet on even implementing nonproprietary XML
documents, let alone things as complex as ebXML or web services.

Cheers,

Mike