When I started out with ebXML, I was hoping for a revolution. That was overly idealistic, for the reasons you state.

Evolution, however, is inevitable.

-Matt

On Jul 13, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Ed Dodds wrote:

Matthew:

First come standards -- then come mergers. I think there are a lot of good ol'
boys and gals who don't want to have to compete for their jobs during the great
shake out. Just look at the aversion the US's NPO sector (1.8 million orgs
strong) has to developing/adopting any kind of meaningful colloboration
enabling standards...

Ed Dodds
---- Original message ----
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:09:33 -0400
From: Matthew MacKenzie <mattm@adobe.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce
it?]
To: Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
Cc: "ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org" <ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org>

Joe,

Standardized infrastructure that draws on the experience and knowledge
of hundred of professional computer science and business operations
people is ebXML.

Locally defined infrastructure defined by a small team of individuals
with the only common point of the architecture being a file format is
"EDI".

Its an aging argument that "we can do it with EDI", or "why not just
design our own". An evolution has to take place in the way we do
business, and the only way to clear the path for true business
innovation is to agree on a lingua franca for how we integrate our
businesses.

Regards,

Matthew MacKenzie
Sr. Architect