Fwd: Re: Standards, then mergers

Joe:

I don't disagree with that. But I assume (and I'm the teachable sort) that

there is a whole lotta duplication out there (facilities, fundraising,
staff) --
due to the geographic nature in which most sprang forth -- and reinvention
of
the wheel (1.8 million boards all solving the same problems and very few
posting best practices for others to glean). I interact with a few NPO
techie
listservs and it is a knee jerk reaction to not even consider whether
there is
significant redundancy among this many orgs.

A good question might be if one's NPO had sufficient funding, what percent

would be spent on tech, e-enablement, etc. Funding foundation surveys find
NPO
staff to be among the most tech averse, budget-wise and in personal
inclination. Now some of that is on the foundations -- which continue to
provide only "start up demo grants" and the NPOs fear they will have to
sustain
some tech or practice they perceive they will not be able to afford after
the
grant stops.

Ed Dodds