Re: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?]

On Jul 13, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Roger Bass wrote:

<snip />
Hosted services can and do enable interoperability without requiring
(unrealistically) that the world adopts a single standard, or
alternatively, that SME client-side solutions take on the full burden of
translation and conformance to individual trading partners formats,
protocols, processes. However, hosted service are insufficient on their
own - there's still the last mile integration problem, i.e. integrating
with different SME legacy apps, who (as I know from Intuit), can
generally be relied upon NOT to do anything leading edge, especially as
regards standards.

If extend the evolution analogy, I'd say that hosted services are merely stopgaps until processes and software evolve to the point where they are no longer needed. A hosted service provides cheater's interoperability, while placing yet another middle man into the mix with his hand open looking to wet his beak on every transaction. Personally, in today's competitive environment I see the good ole invisible hand slapping the middle man out of the way. Strategically speaking, of course. In the near term, we need middle men to sort out our technical inadequacies.

Matthew MacKenzie
Senior Architect
IDBU Server Solutions
Adobe Systems Canada Inc.