SV: FTP protocol support and use

 Hi,

The EU TESS program (social security sector) is using its own
implementation of ebMS over FTP i a pilot program. The program
uses a standard, central FTP server where files are transferred.
If that is of interest, I can dig up some more information as
I am part of that TC.

Except for the custom-built TESS ebMS software, I haven't seen
any COTS ebMS over FTP solutions.

Regarding ebXML transport protocol bindings, experience shows
that every implementation supports HTTP/S as it is the minimum
conformance requirement.
SMTP only gained momentum whem actual cases required it.
Using the Internet, ebMS over SMTP proves to be a challange
for SPAM filters and vice versa.

I attribute differences in various ebXML specification to the
fact that these were developed by different groups.

Matter of factly, I cannot see any limitations as to which
transport protocol might be specified/used/implemented.
X.400 and MQ come to mind, although each does a lot of what
ebMS does to begin with. Substantial cost might be attached
to such (ad)ventures, as this issue quickly reveals design time
shortcuts in imlementations; i.e. am ebMS implementation not
designet to actually support anything but HTTP/S might run
into difficulties.

At least FTP can be 8 bit clean in binary mode, thus relieving
the implementation of special adaptations like transfer-encoding
or line length limitations as with SMTP.

ebXML and to some extent ebMS' independence of the actual
transport is exactly what I like about the stack.
Still, I have yet to see a full blown ebCPPA+ebMS supporting
the "P" in TRP, anything but trivial security profiles
including actual PKI support, not just PKC, and as You ask,
a wider range of transport adapters.

	best regards
		Torsten