[ebxml-dev] RE: [ebsoa] RE: [ebxml-dev] ebXML core components derivation by restriction

Carl,

For the properties, if you start with the basic premise that Core
Components are fundamentally basic data representation types (date, date
time, amount, name, etc.) plus allowable specializations or extensions
(e.g., cost amount, price amount, tax amount, first name, middle name,
last name, etc.) those basic data representation types are the root or top
of an ontology of Core Component types. The basic data representation
types (date, amount, text, etc.) are the highest level of abstraction for
the properties. Each basic data representation type is the foundation for
its own ontology.

For the objects, it becomes necessary to force BIEs to a sufficiently high
level of abstraction that conceptually they become mutually exclusive
concepts in the context of an enterprise. Some basic high level of
abstraction objects applicable to any business enterprise include:
Enterprise, Product, Document, Person, Process, Asset, etc. Each basic
high level of abstraction object can also be subtyped and therefore each
is the foundation of its own ontology. For example, Purchase Order
Document, Work Order Document, Invoice Document, Contract Document, etc
are all types of documents.

I recommend that you look at
http://www.ebxmlforum.org/articles/ebFor_20040306.html and also
http://www.udef.org/specdoc/UDEFv1pt03-July-2003.htm for the complete list
of basic data representation types (properties) and a candidate list of
basic business enterprise objects. As suggested in the article, the UDEF
tree structures could provide a ready made library of Core Components and
BIEs.

I am open to the idea of helping create a use case (storybook) referenced
by the ebXML Registry Semantic Content SC. How do you want to proceed?

Ron Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414