Electronic Transaction Act

Fulton -Thank you for the response - lets see if I can illuminate some
of the points you made

A	Legislation referred to as eTax
B	BizDex and Local Government eCommerce Application
C	Port of Melbourne eCommerce application
D	PDF files  - unnecessary overhead
E	Next Steps

A	LEGISLATION REFERRED TO AS ETAX

eTax refers to legislation called the Electronic Transaction Act - passed
by Australia Federal Government in 1999 and each State in 2000-2003
http://www.halisa.net/fam/gov/loc/

Australia is the only country that has passed Electronic Transaction Acts

> It is not obvious how perpetuating inefficient messaging provides any
> financial benefit to the Australian government.

If you review some of the recent Government tenders that have been
published on the OTMG Tender Information Management Service [TIMS] to
make Natural resources such as water etc as Market Based Instruments
http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#e

And if you can understand that Government Agencies have to place
electronic Bids every 15 minutes then that becomes significant
http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#l

And each Council has to develop Recreation Strategies whereby
Floodlights and Irrigation Systems are required for each sports field
http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#r

B	BIZDEX AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT

One of the tenders that has been published is for a Consortium of
32 Victorian Councils for rate-payers to apply electronically for 25 different
permits and building applications - non critical applications - the
EasyBiz Consortium.

The contract for the eHub is with not-for profit organisation called Bizdex

These are the Owners which inlcude IBM, Microsoft, Intel
http://www.bizdex.com.au/page.php?file=who_owns_bizdex

BizDex was developed for the Australian Wheat Board from a Government
grant to assist with the export of Australian Wheat by AWB

BizDex has stipulated the use of the Australian eCommerce Standard
AS 4590 as part of a tender to outsource the integration into the
Council applications
http://www.smeems.net/z/LZIG/tdr/ICoHAWJ9/

In addition the Port of Melbourne has published a tender for an eCommerce Pilot
http://www.oic.org/z/XZIG/tdr/BCbAAWL7/

If there has to be an electronic check on which address format is used for every
message that is a considerable Value Added Service !

E	PDF FILES UNNECESSARY LOCAL GOVERNMENT OVERHEAD

All the Councils provided their minutes as PDF files

As an example here is is a link to McALLEN City in South Texas which
warns many of the minutes are over 50Mb !
http://www.mcallen.net/officials/meetings.aspx

If you want to view the minutes you have to download the PDF file
and laboriously scroll through the file.

Compare that with how legislation is presented as htm files and
see the difference
eg Federal Electronic Transaction Act
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/eta1999256/

And Electronic Committee Information Management [ECIM] developed
by OIC members as part of the Electronic Association Information
Management [EAIM]

This is ECIM implemented in a local Volunteer Sports Club so that
people can track the issues though the minutes (thread) and not
just have a pdf file that cannot provided the history of the issue
http://www.smeems.net/fam/soc/pit/mgt/mcm/

A version has been used to keep a record of the communications
on the two address data elements in UN/CEFACT
http://www.oic.org/z/XZIG/UNCEFACT/

NEXT STEPS

Hence this may help illustrate why have a single NAD address
is very important both within AS 4590 and UN/EDIFACT

Your comments appreciated

Regards

Stephen GOULD