Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Hermes1: Howto configure Persistent
Confidentiality?
From: "Pim van der Eijk" <lists@sonnenglanz.net>
Date: Sun, December 17, 2006 4:20 am
To: <ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org>

XML encryption is relevant when using the multi-hop feature of ebMS.  SSL only secures the data in transit between hops. The messages would (temporarily) be in clear text at the store-and-forward intermediary.  In some environments, this is seen as a risk (when is the message store purged, who has read permission for the file system storing these messages, are they security cleared..).

The ebMS2 spec says that "The XML Encryption standard shall be the default encryption method when XML Encryption has achieved W3C Recommendation status",
which was on 10 december 2002. There are products that do support XML Encryption with ebMS2 / HTTP. It's unfortunate Hermes doesn't appear to be one of them.

Pim van der Eijk