Re: [ebxml-dev] PEPPOL and ebXML opportunities - Call for participation at PEPPOL conference

Dear Farrukh,

Thank you for your questions.

> I am curious what the rationale was in PEPPOL to define a new specification for a
> registry model and interface rather than building a profile of an existing registry standard
> such as ebXML RegRep. I can certainly see value in defining a specialize domain-specific
> client API but I am not sure I see the value of defining a new registry model and interface.
> Can you share the thought process that led to such a decision in PEPPOL?

The short answer is the following: We are not trying to specify a new
registry model but rather an interface that can easily be implemented
on top of existing registries. We want something really simple that
can be implemented on the basis of ebXML RegRep, UDDI, some of the new
REST-based registries or even on top of LDAP or Active Directory.

The situation is the following:
* There are at least 300 service providers in Europe:
* There are 23 million SME's in Europe that within the next 5-10 years
will be exchanging all their invoices electronically
* Service providers are struggling to interconnect using ad hoc
technical solutions
* Service providers are struggling to interconnect using bilateral agreements
* Service providers are not using a standardized addressing scheme

You, me and others have tried to solve this problem with various
frameworks like ebXML or WS-*. And to be honest we have only had
moderate success with our attempts. We have not been able to create a
viral technology. We are not seeing the adoption rate that we see with
truly viral Internet technologies (e.g. torrents).

I am sure that we can come up with a long list of reasons for this
situation, but I think that it is even more interesting to try to
identify the characteristics of successful Internet technologies, and
then try to build a new framework that share the same characteristics.

So here is my poor attempt to come up with such a list. Viral Internet
technologies are characterized by the fact that they:
* are really simple to implement (at lest in the first generation
until toolkits makes it easy to add more advanced features),
* are highly scalable (a viral technology can handle mass adoption and
may even strive from it),
* have a good balance between cost and benefit for all parties,
* are robust (hard to break or take down even if you wanted to).

So getting back to the 300 European service providers. They don't want
a complicated registry architecture. They don't want to put up an
ebXML RegRep compliant registry or an UDDI compliant registry. They
want the simplest possible solution based on the technology they know.
To achieve this we have now gone a step further to simply our "Service
Metadata Locator" specification by basing it on DNS. A look up to this
interface could be something like the following:
http://5798000416642.ean.peppol.eu. DNS will resolve this into an
IP-address for a Service Metadata Publisher which will return a signed
XML-response via http. The XML-response will contain all the
information needed in order to exchange business documents according
to a well defined business process. This approach enables global
addressing on a really simple and robust scheme and will be presented
at our conference. A DOS attack will be able to take down one of the
decentral Service Metadata Publishers operated by a service provider,
but it will not be possible to take down our Service Metadata Locator.
Or rather - if this is taken down - then we are faced with a bigger
problem that will be resolved by someone else.

I hope that you can see that we are not trying to replicate efforts
here. I have not seen anyone solving the "global addressing problem"
in a way that has really caught on. I hope that you would agree with
me that it is a "no brainer" to implement our SMP interface on top of
an ebXML RegRep product. People will argue that this interface is too
simple and that we will soon be missing features and extension
methodologies. And I think that they are right - but I would just love
to see this problem show up - because it would mean that we have
succeeded in what we are pursuing. I truly believe that we have a fair
chance of succeeding with our approach. And I would love if you can
point out weaknesses as it would help us steer in the right direction
- it will benefit any ebusiness framework.

Best regards
Mikkel

--
Venlig hilsen Mikkel