Subject: [ebxml-mktg-sc] FWD: RE: Safe XML Transportation

FYI,

I'd forgetten that Dick has implemented ebMS for
state of Texas energy board.

I'm sure Dick would be happy to provide a WP on
the implementation.

Thanks, DW.

From:	"XMLEDI Group", INTERNET:xmledi-group@disa.org
To:	"XMLEDI Group", INTERNET:xmledi-group@disa.org

Date:	8/29/2002  7:54 PM

RE:	RE: Safe XML Transportation

Hello Paul,

As you are most likely aware, neither the SOAP 1.1 [1], nor the "new" SOAP
1.2 [2] specs, address security or reliability needs. The SOAP 1.2 spec is
very clear in this regard, here is an excerpt from section 7 of the spec:

"The SOAP Messaging Framework does not directly provide any mechanisms for
dealing with access control, confidentiality, integrity and
non-repudiation."

ebXML's Message Service (which is built on SOAP 1.1) "adds" the missing
pieces (security, reliability, ordered delivery, access control, etc.). I
think of ebXML's Message Service as the "E-Business Web Service", because it
addresses the concerns of businesses that want to exchange business data
using the Internet.

Certain segments of the Travel and Energy industries are using ebXML's
Message Service to transport business data (X12, EDIFACT, XML), securely and
reliably. I believe it would be worth your time to consider ebXML's Message
Service. Feel free to call me if you would like more information.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/

Dick Brooks
Systrends, Inc