Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg-sc] Analyst document - promotion

Carol, David, et al.

I'm just catching up on e-mail after a few days with mortgage bankers in
San Diego (to those in the frigid Northeast, eat your hearts out).

The incredible thing about the Meta Group report is its utter unreality to
the real business world.  I just spent three days with the commercial
mortgage banking industry, from small banks, loan brokers, and attorneys to
giants like GMAC, JP Morgan, and Bank of America.  These folks want no
lightweight solution.  Everyone wants full-service in their business:
reliability, security, and value, but without sacrificing speed and
agility.  This part of the industry is just beginning to define its
business vocabulary and messages, and many of those involved in the effort
wanted to learn more about ebXML

Once you start adding in BPEL4WS, SAML, WS Choreography Language, and the
rest, do you think Web services will be any less heavyweight?  And they
still have to get all the pieces to work together.  Look how long it took
WS-I to come out with its first draft profile, and that's just SOAP, UDDI,
and WSDL.

Bottom line (to use the analysts' convention): Business ain't easy and it
ain't simple.  Even small businesses have complicated processes.  Any
e-business framework has to be prepared to meet all key business needs, not
just the ones a few IT vendors picked out.

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />
http://www.disa.org/dailywire/
Data Interchange Standards Association