Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg-sc] Analyst document - promotion

Alan,

I concur strongly with this - this exactly mirrors my experience at
the Trucking Industry (one the biggest users of EDI and vital
part of supplychain) at the conference they specifically invited
me to come to - to make the case for XML.  They hardly ever
invite people like this - and a vendor rep' is unheard of.

Anyway - if I had gone in there and said "its simple, all you do is
put up a webservice and send your EDI using SOAP" - then I
would have been laughed out of the debate.

The need for lightweight clients is with the small businesses,
but in order to make those plug-n-play requires careful
orchestration - look at Microsoft Windows itself.

Ok - enough of belabouring the point.  In the paper I did I
spelled out the three different deployment needs -
ebXML have to be:

1) Heavyweight for the big enterprises
2) Small footprint for the little ones
3) Easily extensible and scable (normal humans can do this).

So answer is ebXML has been explicitly designed to do this,
but of course 1) is where people start - becuase those are
the folks with the money.

Incidently if META would look at the ebMS tool products
they would find some very small footprint Java libraries
that do all that.  What users have to do to use ebMS is
actually very easy - just like setting up a POP3 email
account and signing up with an email provider.

DW.
Message text written by Alan Kotok
>The incredible thing about the Meta Group report is its utter unreality to

the real business world.  I just spent three days with the commercial
mortgage banking industry, from small banks, loan brokers, and attorneys to

giants like GMAC, JP Morgan, and Bank of America. <