ebxml-mktg message

Subject: [ebxml-mktg] ebXML Messaging Service Specification Approved As OASISStandard

ebXML Messaging Service Specification Approved As OASIS Standard

Boston, MA, USA; 5 September 2002 -- ebXML Messaging Service
Specification version 2.0 has become the newest OASIS Standard,
successfully completing a recent election by the consortium's membership
at-large. The ebXML Messaging Service standard, which provides a secure
method for exchanging electronic business transactions using the
Internet, carries forward work initiated by OASIS and the United Nations
Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business (UN/CEFACT).

"We applaud the outstanding efforts of the members of the OASIS ebXML
Messaging Service Technical Committee in collaborating on this important
standard for electronic business," said Patrick Gannon, president and
CEO of OASIS. "Its overwhelming approval is a testament to the OASIS
technical process, which fosters open development of standards at a pace
that meets the needs of industry."

To attain status as an OASIS Standard, ebXML Messaging Service v2 was
first approved by its development team as an OASIS Committee
Specification. After being implemented by a minimum of three
organizations, it then underwent a 90-day open review, before the final
balloting of OASIS members.

"OASIS members enhanced the ebXML Messaging specification by
simplifying, clarifying and modularizing the functionality for easier
implementation," said Ian Jones, chair of the OASIS ebXML Messaging
Services Technical Committee. "We look forward to continuing to build on
this solid foundation and invite others to join us and put forth
requests for future enhancements. We will be working closely with
related groups at OASIS and W3C to ensure a synergy of our collective
efforts."

ebXML Messaging is one of a suite of specifications that enables
enterprises of any size and in any geographical location to conduct
business over the Internet. ebXML Messaging Service v2 joins two other
ebXML specifications that were recently approved as OASIS Standards,
ebXML Registry Service (RS) v2 and ebXML Registry Information Model
(RIM) v2. The ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profile and Agreement (CPPA)
has completed the first-level of OASIS approval process as an OASIS
Committee Specification. Development of ebXML specifications for
Business Process and Core Component work continue with the UN/CEFACT
process.

ebXML Messaging Service v2 was developed by Commerce One, Cyclone
Commerce, eXcelon, Fujitsu, GE Global Exchange, IBM, Intel, Mercator,
SAP, SeeBeyond, Sonic Software, Sterling Commerce, Sun Microsystems,
Sybase, webMethods, and other OASIS Contributor and Individual members.

Industry Support for OASIS Standard: ebXML Messaging

"As an active member of the OASIS ebXML Messaging Service Technical
Committee, Fujitsu is very pleased that the ebXML Messaging Service V2.0
was approved as an OASIS Standard," said Masahiko Fujita, Group Senior
Vice President, Software Group, Fujitsu Limited. "Fujitsu has been a
leading contributor to the ebXML Message Service  specification, in
particular by submitting reliable messaging functions. Interstage,
Fujitsu's eBusiness infrastructure software product, supports the ebXML
Message Service. We believe that the standardization of an open and
reliable messaging specification is a major step toward achieving large
scale interoperability among eBusiness systems on the Internet."

"The integration of business processes and technology systems with
customers, channels and suppliers is essential for helping companies
reap the rewards of Collaborative Commerce," said Chris Casgar, Senior
Architect at NerveWire, Inc.  "Now that the ebXML messaging service has
evolved into a second generation standard, we will recommend it to our
Fortune 500 high
tech and financial services clients as an attractive option for driving
standards into their external trading partner integration
infrastructure. This will help them reduce their total cost of ownership
of integration infrastructure, as well as provide high quality of
service capabilities necessary for effective B2B integration and
overcoming some shortcomings
associated with current Web Services standards."

"SAA is a member of leading e-Business and XML associations, ensuring
that organizations can benefit from the latest initiatives and ratified
standards. Our expertise and experience in application integration and
B2B data exchange has enabled the development of the REIMS product
range. REIMS has extensive support for ebXML and other XML frameworks to
facilitate the exchange of transactions within a community of business
partners," said Alex Lochhead, Managing Director of SAA Consultants. "It
is our goal to deliver true business interoperability and support
e-business initiatives through our REIMS solutions and our involvement
with OASIS and ebXML."

"The ebMS 2.0 specification extends the current state of the art in
secure and reliable Internet data exchange for collaborative B2B
electronic commerce, most notably EDI over the Internet and business
quality Web services. With attention to B2B security, reliability and
extensibility, it effectively bridges legacy EDI with emerging Web
services-based
infrastructure, technologies, interaction patterns and XML documents --
which is relevant and attractive for next generation B2B. This second
release demonstrates an industry and vendor commitment to drive the
standard forward," said Brian Gibb, Vice Chair of the OASIS ebXML
Messaging Services TC and Director, Standards and Applied Technology for
Sterling Commerce. "The current ebMS 2.0 implementation in our Sterling
Integrator product is a first step in a long-term commitment to support
and drive ebXML framework adoption among the Sterling Commerce customer
base."

"ebXML messaging is designed to meet the practical requirements of
electronic commerce in a way that fits existing legal and commercial
frameworks" said Ed Julson, Sun's Group Marketing Mgr, XML & Web
Services. "ebXML messaging is destined to play an important role in the
transition of large-scale electronic commerce from private networks to
the Internet. Sun has supported and contributed to the ebXML effort from
day one, and believes ebXML is a key component in providing open,
royalty-free standards for the development of global commerce."

"Sybase is pleased to see approval of version 2.0 of the ebXML Messaging
Service Specification, and is proud to say that we have incorporated
full support for ebXML Messaging 2.0 in our Web Services Integrator
product, further augmenting our comprehensive, end-to-end ebXML
solution," said Billy Ho, Senior VP and General Manager, e-Business
Division of Sybase. "As one of four vendors to pass the Drummond
interoperability testing earlier this year, we have demonstrated our
commitment to delivering open, standards based, vendor interoperable
e-Business solutions. ebXML Messaging 2.0 is a standard that can help
the industry get one step closer to achieving this on a larger scale."

"TIBCO Software is committed to driving and supporting industry
standards," said Ramin Sayar, director of products and solutions at
TIBCO Software. "TIBCO is proud to be among the companies helping to
advance the ebXML Messaging Service Specification v2.0 to various
customers and industries. ebXML is the first comprehensive integration
standard with a framework that provides companies a defined way to
develop and deploy secure and reliable Web services."

"XML Global believes that ebXML Messaging is a key milestone for
ensuring a secure, reliable and open e-Business infrastructure and we
are committed to continuing our work in this critical area," said
Matthew MacKenzie, Chief Software Architect for XML Global Technologies,
Inc.

About OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org)

OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
Standards) is a not-for-profit, global consortium that drives the
development, convergence and adoption of e-business standards. Members
themselves set the OASIS technical agenda, using a lightweight, open
process expressly designed to promote industry consensus and unite
disparate efforts. OASIS produces worldwide standards for security, Web
services, XML conformance, business transactions, electronic publishing,
topic maps and interoperability within and between marketplaces. OASIS
has more than 500 corporate and individual members in 100 countries
around the world.

For more information:
Carol Geyer
OASIS Director of Communications