Subject: RE: Couple of thoughts

I agree with your pov Marc. I would like to see the August meeting
establish a cross vendor foundation and for us to build on it for November.
We have to figure out a way to pull in RR, BP etc. so the sooner we
stabilize the base the quicker we can deal with RR etc.

Nick

At 10:41 AM 7/26/2000 -0400, Marc Breissinger wrote:
>All,
>
>I disagree.
>
>I believe the type of scenario that is described below is unscalable.  We
>will be (hopefully) continually adding new participants to the POC and demo
>environment through November as more vendors provide support.  The plan
>outlined below will require continual updates to the business scenario to
>incorporate each new vendor.
>
>I believe the any-to-any scenario solves that problem.  The basic 2-party
>PIP3A4 Create Purchase Order scenario is a real business scenario than can
>be presented in a well orchestrated manner at the closing plenary.
>
>Our aim should not be to build a one-off demo, but rather to build the
>appropriate, interoperable, ebXML TRP infrastructure that enables us to (1)
>prove the viability of ebXML for enabling dynamic trading networks and (2)
>dynamically create demonstration scenarios quickly and easily.  I think the
>any-to-any configuration is the best and most efficient way of accomplishing
>both of those goals.  It allows us to scale the environment to include new
>vendors (i.e., trading partners), thereby proving the ability of ebXML to
>handle dynamic relationships.  It allows us to demonstrate, if we desire,
>both a hub-spoke and point-to-point based relationships.  Finally, it
>enables us to create different kinds of demonstrations "on-the-fly" (albeit
>a somewhat risky proposition).
>
>In order to get there, a few of simple things need to happen:
>
>1.  Each vendor must declare what roles they will fulfill in the PIP3A4
>process: requester, receiver, req/rec, or hub (I believe only Viquity will
>play the hub role).

JavaSoftware will play the receiver role for now. We would like to do
business with everyone :-)

>2.  Each vendor must declare what protocols they will support.  Allowing
>multiple protocols (a) follows the spirit of the ebXML TRP specification;
>(b) enables broader participation from the member base; and (c) provides a
>more compelling demonstration.

HTTP, SMTP(IMAP, POP)

>3.  Each vendor must publish the basic tpa connectivity information for
>communication (e.g., the URL for HTTP, email address for SMTP/POP/IMAP, path
>for FTP, etc.).  I suggest that, for simplicity, we leave security out of
>the mix for this demo.

Will forward shortly.

>4.  Each vendor is assigned a DUNS number for their role.
>
>Given that we don't really care about the payload it is not really required
>that we agree on the contents of the PO or the PO response.  However, it
>might be nice to have each of the requesters declare what data will be in
>the payload of the PO and what data they expect to receive in the
>ack/acceptance messages.  Given that, I don't think anyone ever considered
>doing any back-end integration for the San Jose demo.
>
>With that infrastructure in place, we can use the week in San Jose to craft
>the actual choreography of the demonstration scenario that will incorporate
>all who are able to participate.  It's certainly not a competition.  It's a
>matter of creating the most effective demonstration of the promise of a
>standardized TR&P framework.

Agreed.