Subject: RE: ebXML Proof of Concept Proposal v0.5

There has been some previous discussions, as Prasad indicated, regarding
this apparent "overlapping" of ebXML Message Envelope MIME headers with the
transport MIME headers.

This issue only exists with MIME aware transports, such as HTTP and SMTP.
Non-MIME aware transports do not exhibit this perceived "overlapping". I've
used the analogy of a "windowed postal envelope" to describe the use of
ebXML Message Envelope headers by MIME aware transports. In other words, the
ebXML Message envelope MIME headers can be used directly by MIME aware
transports.

The question is, are there negative ramifications from allowing the ebXML
Message envelope MIME headers to "show through" the transport envelope?

Previously, concerns have been raised that a "receiver" couldn't produce a
"correct" message digest from ebXML messages sent using a MIME aware
transport because the servlet API or CGI didn't provide direct access to the
original MIME headers of the ebXML Message Envelope. However, during the F2F
on 7/11+12 the TR&P team agreed to define the "signature block" of an ebXML
message, which excludes the ebXML Message envelope MIME headers. The latest
version of the packaging spec discusses this in section 4.7.

However, enough smart people have raised concerns with this that it is worth
investigating thoroughly. Can anyone present a business case that would
require access to the original ebXML message envelope headers. Recognize,
that the data values from the ebXML message envelope headers for
Content-type and Content-Length are easily accessible, it's the actual MIME
header identifiers ("Content-type" and "Content-Length") that are not
accessible. Can anyone think of a reason why this information is necessary
in its original form?

Thanks,

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com/