Subject: FW: Tokyo POC choreography - my 4c ;-)

Hi all,

	I have been agonizing over the reg/rep-discovery-POC scenario. Klaus's
e-mail clearly suggests that we should use the eCo Framework in this area.

	I had a talk with Farrukh, read thru UDDI and eCo specs, read thru some of
the ebXML achieve e-mails, did some independent thinking ..... I have
attached a diagram which shows my thinking and where eCo and UDDI fits in
with the regrep effort.

	We did show standards interoperability at SJ by conducting RosettaNet over
ebXML. We should show additional capabilities and progress at Tokyo.

	One of the areas I was thinking of was the dynamic/configurable trading
networks with discovery et al. I had sent this e-mail before the UDDI
question. Now this is more important to show this capability - to some
extent. We do not have to show all the features but enough to show we are
there.

	There are two ways we can show this :

	a)	By adding the discovery processes in the BP specs and then implementing
them as a part of the reg/rep.
		(Again the excellent use cases by David Burdett illuminate the processes)

	b)	By implementing a few of the eCo APIs as services over the regrep APIs
thus showing interoperability and the extensibility of the framework.

	I like b) because, we do not want to be yet another standard; leveraging is
the key word.

	Looking from the regrep view (which is what I am looking from) and
position, instead of a competing third standard, we now show an
interoperable solution. We are ready for a UDDI provider over our regrep as
well. Now (at least in my mind) the position is clear.

	I am starting to implement the regrep seq diagrams - the
create/approve/deprecate/query/remove -  and the persistence store. The
logic is that we need this basic regrep functionality even for the Oct f2f.
I also want to see if we can do integration test with any of the folks
*before* the Oct meeting - I had sent an earlier mail on this.

	Then, if everything goes well, any or all of us (who provide the registry
functionality) could do the eCo service layer for discovery - as a stretch
goal. We can attempt at least an implementation (without any integration) so
that we can confidently say the regrep is agnostic to standards.

cheers

Note : In case you all wonder why 4c, I am adding 2c to my previous 2c ;-)

	BTW, It suddenly occurred to me that eCo is a CommerceOne initiative and
the UDDI is an Ariba one. Both have participation from IBM !