Subject: A few of my own : RE: Problems with Classifications

Sam, this is an great posting!! I plead ignorance to the wealth of
information on this topic (no pun), but it represents comparable thoughts
that I have had in last few months about classification schemes.  I will
study this is detail, but I can quickly see that it has potential.

My current thoughts has been based in UML; perhaps a mapping is possible or
already exists.

If you are suggesting we should think beyond the traditional classification
schemes, I agree.  All of our examples to me look more like object models
(M0 level) and that is not powerful enough in my book.  I always had the
belief that classification schemes can span across multiple metalevels (in
OMG terms), and the more abstract such as the MOF, the easier it is to map
to code or xml interfaces, etc.

Also, I believe that individuals have different viewpoints on an object, and
multiple classification schemes should be supported. I strongly we should
support the concept of views, common in RDBMS. For example, if I used the BP
metamodel as a classification scheme, I could potentially find trading
partners that used a specific communications protocol such as http, or for
another person, find trading partners that offered a product or service.
The result set could be of the same type (e.g., TradingPartnerList ), while
the root would be different.  I have used the analogy of a fishing net in
the past, where the net represents a model, and I pick different spots on
the net to represent different views on the same information.  Therefore
specifying a parent of a classification scheme is NOT necessarily a good
idea, and needs to be looked at in our information model.

I also believe that multiple classification schemes can be assigned to the
same object which Topics seems to suppport. I believe that schemes can be
interrelated, which addresses a real life scenario of incorporating a common
business object into UML class diagram and tracking which models use that
CBO.

Soooo...having said that...do we absolutely need to specify and persist a
scheme's composition or do we just discover the composition of a scheme at
runtime via the DOM?  Perhaps we treat composition as arbitrary and move
on...

thoughts?? flame??

Scott