Subject: RE: I object to the objection over object -> RE: Proposal to reso lveinfo model issues

 I have not previously expressed an opinion about objects, components,
metadata, etc.

I believe that objects is an OK term to use because while it implies a noun
with attributes it has evolved to include behaviors and actions.

A component is a more general term that can be a noun, an action, or any
combination of these including attributes.

The purpose of defining objects in terms of metadata was to allow set theory
to prevail - an object can be a part of one or more other objects and may or
may not contain other objects.  Objects in this context have attributes,
nouns and verbs as requied.  Object use is not hierarchical except in the
particular inclusion within a particular instance of a set.

Any object (or component) that describes other objects is metadata.  A
registry serves as a mechanism for structured pointers to where information
is stored and thus is metadata.  The purposes of registries are varied and
need to be defined for each registry, including ebXML.  The places to which
registries point are repositories.  Repositories may include metadata or
simple elements - again depending on how the repositories are defined and
meant to be used.  In the simplest instance a repository may be a database
of elements or a URL.  Again the ebXML repository functions and uses need to
be defined.  If the ebXML repository contains information about data then it
also contains metadata.

Whether we use the word "object" or "component" is not important - rather
the description of how the word is being used by ebXML is what matters.
However, given the muddiness and varied use of the word "object", I would
probably vote for the word "component".  Use of components in place of
objects has a more general application and less confusion about
interpretation in my opinion.

Now for the disclaimier - this is the first opinion I have expressed.
Please disregard my comments if they are not in line with the general
thinking of the group.

Regards, Becky Reed