Subject: RE: XPATH query Take 2

Hello All,

I am very pleased that some have seen merit in my argument, however, I would
really appreciate it if someone could identify for me the hesitation to
ignore the work of the LDAP specification.  To my understanding this is a
well accepted standard and has a query facility.  I'm not saying this is the
right direction for us, but it does fit what we are trying to do and is an
existing standard.

There is the issues of extensibilty, and that's where the ebXML Reg/Rep
group could really assist in enhancing an existing standard to support eBiz
repository functions.

Until we explore LDAP, however, I don't think we should legitimately look to
technologies that do not immediately suit our needs, such as XPath.  Again,
the point was widely overlooked in my last e-mail that XPath only works
against a single root context.  How are we to reconcile this root context?
XPath has considerable problems allowing users to easily differentiate loops
(consistent types serially declared as siblings).

Come on people.  Let's put on our thinking caps here and make sure we select
technologies that are easily implemented and will not require man-months of
rework to make useful.

Thanks.

JP