Subject: RE: XPATH query Take 2

All XPath statement are either relative or absolute.  Relative context
require that some absolute positioning was made either through traversal or
a single instance statement.  Absolute contexts are established by
positioning against a root element.  Hence, the same query would have to
work against all documents root elements or through a very slow traversal of
the entire XML document.

My point better stated is that XPath statements are closely associated with
the vocabulary that is being executed against, which doesn't work against an
arsenal of diverse vocabularies.

JP

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie
To: JP Morgenthal; 'David RR Webber '; 'duane '; ''mrowley@exceloncorp.com '
'; ''RegRep ' '
Sent: 1/6/2001 10:46 PM

The work done in LDAP is certainly interesting, but what about something
like QUILT.  AFAICS, QUILT uses XPath-like syntax which is useful on the
document level context while adding functionality to bring it into the
same
space as SQL.

JP: When you say "root context" what do you mean exactly?

Cheers,
Matt

<<| message from: JP Morgenthal <jp.morgenthal@xmls.com> |>>
Hello All,

> I am very pleased that some have seen merit in my argument, however, I
would
> really appreciate it if someone could identify for me the hesitation
> ignore the work of the LDAP specification.  To my understanding this
is a
> well accepted standard and has a query facility.  I'm not saying this
is
the
> right direction for us, but it does fit what we are trying to do and
is an
> existing standard.
>
> There is the issues of extensibilty, and that's where the ebXML
Reg/Rep
> group could really assist in enhancing an existing standard to support
eBiz
> repository functions.
>
> Until we explore LDAP, however, I don't think we should legitimately
look
> technologies that do not immediately suit our needs, such as XPath.
Again,
> the point was widely overlooked in my last e-mail that XPath only
works
> against a single root context.  How are we to reconcile this root
context?
> XPath has considerable problems allowing users to easily differentiate
loops
> (consistent types serially declared as siblings).
>
> Come on people.  Let's put on our thinking caps here and make sure we
select
> technologies that are easily implemented and will not require
man-months
of
> rework to make useful.
>
> Thanks.