Subject: Query related comments (was RIM v0.54 distribution)

I neglected to mention that the newly added relationship methods in RIM
interfaces were added to support a design pattern based definition of methods
that would now be available to the query syntax assuming the query syntax
supports methods (e.g. constrained OQL proposal).

The idea is to define new methods based on the blue-line relationships in RIM
fig 1 following a pattern. An subset OQL based query syntax approach (or
another approach that supports attributes and methods from RIM) could then
make use of these methods to simplify the queries.

Note that the methods were added based on discussions during the f2f on day 2.

BTW I have had significant discussions with several query language experts
(people who have contributed to existing query language standards) and their
general opinion is that designing a home brewed query interface syntax is a
very difficult task to get right. They unanimously favor a constrained subset
of an existing standard. These experts include Rick Cattell (OQL), Umit
Yalcinap (EJB-QL), Neelam Vaidya (XML Query) and Eve Maler (XPointer).
<FullDisclosure>They are all Sun employees</FullDisclosure>.

Lastly, I want to propose a requirement that any query interface we come up
with must be able to do combinatorial queries using all attributes defined by
RIM. Note that this is a much simpler requirement than designing a general
purpose ad hoc query mechanism where there is no pre-defined information model
or schema.

Farrukh

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Attached is the latest RIM document. It has teh following changes since
> v.53:
>
> -Took out SecurityClearance
> -Renamed Object#UUID to Object#ID to better map to XML DTD as ID
> attribute
> -Renamed ExtrinsicObject#URI to ExtrinsicObject#contentURI
> -Incorporated detailed comments from Jon Bosak largely as is. Note
> trusting Jon I did not search for
>  similar issues in rest of document. If you find any in this version
> send me email.
>
> -Added more relationship methods to interfaces
> -Gave role names to relationships in Fig 1
> -Added missing enumeration for ManagedObject#status
>
> As always yuour comments would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh

>                                  Name: RegistryInfoModelv0.54.pdf
>    RegistryInfoModelv0.54.pdf    Type: Acrobat (application/pdf)
>                              Encoding: BASE64

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard